Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. Motherhood!

The beautiful thing about being a mom means that you can have fun with your baby and post silly pictures. :)
Hello Everyone, 

So its been nearly a month since I posted anything. I had these aspirations of grandeur while I have been on maternity leave. I was going to organize our house, take long walks - catch up with old friends, cook Dieter fabulous meals. I could not figure out why my friends who have gone before me could not multitask, why was it so important to get home before nap time started... and well - I WAS IN FOR A BIG SURPRISE! 

If my friends knew of my original feelings they would be saying, "I told you so." And GUESS WHAT!!! 

When you are a new mom - a successful day means you have mastered basic survival skills.  

Here are the "Big Three":  
(One day, I hope to work my way up to "Super Mom" and become June Cleaver but this is the "101" class.)

1.) Showering. 
Yes, for those of you who know me well - I love my spa days. Manis, pedis and getting my hair blown out. Well, now a shower with washing my hair feels like a deluxe day at the spa. On those early days when Max would wake up hourly - I would be lucky if I showered when Dieter got home from work. When he was out of town during his 8 day trip to Florida when Max was two weeks old I did not shower a couple days in a row. EWWW, GROSS!!! TMI!

2.) Sleep.
Max is about to turn two months old on Saturday. Last week, he started a new pattern. He is sleeping from about 11:30pm to 5am. WOW. That FEELS SOOO GOOD! I have not slept in a five hour block since the week before I went into labor. I have dreams now, and I am sleeping deep enough to go through a couple REM cycles. I now know where "mommy brain syndrome" comes from. Lack of sleep. True sleep deprivation. Dieter and I were at odds with each other for a couple weeks when Max was starting to get sick ... he was waking up so often that I was evicted to the nursery so one of us could get sleep. HINT - it was not me getting the sleep.

3.) Eating.
The new trick I learned is eat when Max is napping. He likes to be held and is not happy when I put him down. I am too small to eat while holding a 11+ pound baby. I skipped quite a few meals in the beginning and I need to get better. I would exchange sleep (see bullet #2) for eating.

I will update the blog a bit more over the next couple weeks now that we have a better schedule. We have Maxmilian's cousin Sigrid, Auntie Heidi and  Uncle Phil driving out to Chicago from Ithaca as we speak. Sigrid is 5 months old and they are literally three months and 6 days apart. Mr. Max cannot wait to meet Sigrid. (Yes he told me so!) So I need to get the house ready for the Bardy-King crew. 

In the meantime, let me post a few pictures that show why I am crazy enough to do this mommy thing. A picture is worth a thousand words right?

Mr. Max and his new Tummy Tub! Thank you Rachel! :)

This is Max at 7 weeks... this is his super cool face. :)

Look at my big blue eyes! :)

Big blue eyes Part Two! :)

Peace out for now. More adventures (and pictures) to come after the cousins weekend! 

Warmest, 
Jen and Mr. Max :)   


3 comments:

  1. great post Jen - we LOVE you, and love seeing you as a mommy. You are doing such a great job. We miss the three of you already.

    And yes, there has NEVER been a better reason for dirty hair & a dusty house.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 hours of sleep at 2 months is pretty incredible. Rex was born in Febuary of 2012 and I (first) got a stretch longer than 2.5 hours in December so consider yourself lucky! Lookin' good though! They just get more and more fun as they get older!

    ReplyDelete